This project brought together several software programs. I began with Fractorium for the alpha fractal image sequence, then used Blender 2.8 (beta) to create the background using only Cycles shader nodes.
This was the first real project I did in Blender 2.8. Afterward, I composited them together in Natron and added some special effects. As can be seen in the screenshot, I went back-and-forth experimenting with floating-orb particles eventually deciding against them.
At the beginning, The “sliding screenshot panes” were a learning opportunity for me in that I used the “holdout” cycles shader node for the first time!